The quick guides below help agencies to better understand and talk with their teams about the performance management tools available to them. The PIC team regularly refreshes this section with new and updated quick guides. If you have a recommendation for a new topic, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- WHAT IS PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT?: Learn about performance management as a concept, how it is implemented in the federal government, and how you can use it.
- THE FEDERAL PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT LAW & FRAMEWORK: Read an overview of the law that provides the foundation for federal performance management and find out more about several of the key components of the law.
- PERFORMANCE MEASUREMENT BASICS: Find out what you should be thinking about, including key considerations and common mistakes, when developing performance measures.
- WHAT IS THE ROLE OF THE PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT OFFICER?: Performance Improvement Officers (PIO) make sure agencies meet their mission and goals. Learn what the work of a PIO looks like and how they add value to their agencies.
- WHAT IS P3 AND HOW CAN YOU USE IT?: Learn how teams can use the Performance Principles and Practices (P3) framework to manage success.
- CROSS AGENCY PRIORITY GOALS 101: Learn the who, what, when, where, and how of Cross Agency Priority (CAP) Goals and how they have driven major results for the federal government.
- WHAT ARE THE EMERGING ISSUES TO PAY ATTENTION TO?: Keep your eye on these new issues and requirements that impact the work of performance teams across the federal government.
- THE PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT COUNCIL: The Performance Improvement Council (PIC) is responsible for improving the performance of the federal government. Learn what it is and what it does.